UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — A suicide bomber targeted an Afghan special forces base in Kabul on Thursday, killing at least four soldiers, officials said, as violence escalated after US-Taliban peace talks collapsed.
The suicide bomber detonated a minibus at the entrance to the camp in Chahar Asyab, killing four special forces personnel and wounding three others, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid issued a statement in which he claimed responsibility for the attack and claimed more than 200 soldiers had been killed. The Taliban usually announce exaggerated figures.
Mujahid said the bomber managed to infiltrate the base before the attack.
The attack highlights expectations of an escalation in violence after US President Donald Trump abruptly canceled talks with the Taliban aimed at withdrawing US troops and ending 18 years of war in Afghanistan.
Last week’s suicide bombing killed 10 civilians and at least two NATO soldiers near the US embassy in Kabul.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.