UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — Bashir was the only person holding the key to a room in the presidential palace containing millions of euros, the last directors of the ousted president’s office testified in court on Saturday.
In his testimony during Bashir’s trial for corruption and illegal possession of foreign currency, Yasser Bashir said the former president had given him more than 10 million euros ($ 11 million) in cash in the final months of his rule to hand it over to different parties.
Sudan’s army sacked Bashir in April after months of protests. His trial is a test that reflects the extent to which the military and civilian actors, who share power, will deal with the legacy of his 30-year authoritarian rule.
The former director, who worked with Bashir from September 2018 and was speaking as a defense witness, said the president once granted him five million euros to be handed over to Abdul Rahim Hamdan Doklo, deputy commander of the Rapid Support Forces.
Yasser Bashir said the money was handed over in the presence of Abdul Rahim’s brother, Mohammed Hamdan Daglou, commander of the Rapid Support Forces and deputy chairman of the Transitional Military Council, which took power after Bashir was ousted and is currently a member of the Sovereignty Council, which was formed in a power-sharing agreement between military and civilians.
Yasser Bashir said other parties that received the funds included the Ministry of Defense as well as military and civilians for medical treatment, adding that he did not know the source of the funds and that he was only following orders.
Also present at the hearing was Abdel Moneim Mohamed, an accountant at the International University of Africa, a private institution with links to Islamists. Mohammed said the university president and his deputy had received four million euros in cash from Bashir.
Bashir sat inside a metal cage in the courtroom wearing robes and a traditional white turban.
Although he did not speak during Saturday’s court hearing, he denied the charges when he was formally charged a week ago.
In his first public talk since his ouster, Bashir said last week he had received $ 25 million from Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and other sources but had not received money or used it for his own benefit.
“The money was used in donations to various parties, including the medical weapon, the International University of Africa and the Taiba channel, which publishes the Islamic call in Africa and delivered part of it to the rapid support for the procurement of petroleum products,” Bashir said.
Millions of euros and Sudanese pounds were found at Bashir’s residence in April, a judicial source said.
The maximum penalty is about 10 years in prison. The next hearing is scheduled for September 14.
The International Criminal Court in The Hague issued arrest warrants for human beings in 2009 and 2010 on charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in Sudan’s Darfur region.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.