UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS)
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte discussed with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi the files of Libya and Iran, and the case of the student, Giulio Regeni, according to Italian media.
Italian (private) news agency Aki reported that Sisi met with Conte in the presidential palace in the capital, Cairo, to discuss the Libyan and Iranian files, and the case of the student, Regeni, whose body was found dead in the Egyptian city in February 2016.
The agency quoted sources from the Italian government palace, saying, “Giuseppe Conte will meet, later on Tuesday, upon his return to Rome, the leaders of the majority and opposition groups, to assess the situation in Libya and Iraq.”
Earlier on Tuesday, the official Egyptian news agency said that Conte had left Cairo airport after meeting Sisi.
On Monday evening, the Italian Prime Minister started a visit to Cairo, coming from Turkey, as part of a regional tour to discuss developments in the Libyan crisis.
In a statement to the Egyptian presidency, Sisi and Conte agreed to “intensify joint efforts to support the efforts of the political settlement and reach a comprehensive solution that restores stability in Libya, supports its national capabilities and institutions, maintains its territorial integrity and sovereignty, and maintains its resources.”
The meeting also touched on “the latest developments regarding the ongoing investigations in the case of the Italian student Giulio Regeni,” as Al-Sisi reiterated his country’s quest to find the truth, and full support for the close cooperation between the competent authorities in both Egypt and Italy to reveal the circumstances of the case, according to the statement same.
Relations between Cairo and Rome were severely strained after the murder of Regini, 26, and his body was found in Egypt, in February 2016, with signs of torture. After two months, Rome summoned its ambassador to Cairo, and then sent a new ambassador, 17 months after the withdrawal of its former ambassador. .
Conte’s visit, which ended on Tuesday, comes to Egypt, days after Italy’s Foreign Minister Luigi de Mayo’s visit to Cairo, as part of a Middle East tour that also included Turkey and Algeria.
De Mayo participated in the five-way coordination meeting that included the foreign ministers of Egypt, Italy, Rome, Greece and France at the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to discuss the Libyan crisis.
On Monday, Conte discussed the Libyan file with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the capital, Ankara.
Before leaving Ankara for Cairo, Conte told Italian media that he viewed positively the declared cease-fire in Libya at the initiative of Turkey and Russia.
He added that his country “wants to start a democratic phase in Libya.”
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, money, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: email@example.com
We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.