NewsWorld

Controversy continues in the Senate over how to try Trump

UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The US Senate is still facing a dead end on Friday over how to move forward with the trial of President Donald Trump, as the row continues between the leaders of the Senate over whether to invite senior officials in the White House to testify.

After a two-week suspension of the Council’s work on New Year’s holiday, it is not yet clear when the Trump trial will begin.

House Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, said the trial could not begin before House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sent the indictment, which includes two charges against Trump in the case that she has not yet sent to the Senate.

The House of Representatives, where the Democratic Party has a majority, agreed in December to hold Trump accountable for pressuring Ukraine to conduct an investigation into Joe Biden, a former US vice president who could potentially challenge Trump in this year’s presidential election.

The trial will take place in the Senate, and Trump, where Republicans have a majority, will be cleared of Trump.

But McConnell and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer have disagreed since late last year over how the trial will take place.

On Friday, McConnell said the Senate should go ahead and start the trial and settle the dispute over witnesses “during the trial”, in a repeat of his previous position. He added that the trial in this way will be the same as what happened in the accountability of former President Bill Clinton nearly two decades ago.

Clinton, a Democrat, was acquitted in the Senate.

Schumer, who spoke after McConnell on Friday, said the council should conduct a fair trial for Trump while hearing witnesses and providing relevant documents.

Schumer added, speaking in the Senate, that there had never been a trial “in which the Senate is denied hearing witnesses,” calling on the leader of the Senate Republican majority to abide by the witnesses’ call before the trial begins.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

OBSERVATORY GLOBAL NEWS— Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, money, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.

Contact us: [email protected]

Stay connected with Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.

Support The OBSERVATORY from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.