SAUDI ARABIA (OBSERVATORY) – Saudi Arabia may take part in military action in Syria after an alleged chemical attack that killed at least 60 people in the eastern Ghouta region over the weekend, Saudi Crown Prince Prince Mohammed bin Salman said on Tuesday.
US President Donald Trump on Monday vowed a swift and strong response to the attack, apparently referring to a possible military response.
“Without a doubt, if we need to share our allies in a military operation against the regime in Syria, we will not be late,” Prince Mohammed told a news conference with French President Emmanuel Macaron at the end of a three-day visit to Paris.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told reporters earlier that several countries were holding consultations on how to respond to a chemical attack in Syria and called for holding those responsible accountable.
“Our position is that officials must be held accountable and brought to justice.”
The medical care union said the attack, suspected to have been carried out with chemical weapons late on Saturday, killed at least 60 people and injured more than 1,000 at several locations in Duma near the capital Damascus.
Al-Jubeir declined to comment when asked if Saudi Arabia would participate in any military response.
“I’m not going to speculate about what might or might not be happening, but all I can say is that there are ongoing discussions about options to deal with this,” he said.