News

Death toll from Hurricane Dorian rises to 50

UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — The death toll from Hurricane Durian that hit the Bahamas last week has risen to 50, most of them on the main island of Abaco, an official said on Tuesday.

Carl Smith, a spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency in the Bahamas, told reporters the previous death toll was 45. Rescuers, evacuees and officials widely believed the death toll would be higher as more bodies were pulled out from under rubble, he said. Of destruction in Marsh Harbor.

The hurricane struck the Bahamas with winds of up to 320 km per hour, meaning it was one of the most powerful hurricanes in the Caribbean, but the worst disaster in the Bahamas.

According to the World Food Program, some 70,000 people are in need of food and shelter assistance. The private sector estimates that insured and destroyed property in the Caribbean is worth $ 3 billion.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.

Contact us: [email protected]

Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.

Support The OBSERVATORY from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.