UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS)
Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, described as “unreliable” the general of illegitimate forces in eastern Libya, Khalifa Haftar, who did not sign the ceasefire declared in the country despite pledges.
“This man is unreliable. They continued to bomb Tripoli,” Erdogan said in a statement to reporters after praying the Jummah prayer in Istanbul.
He said the coming days will be important because of the international conference to be held in Berlin on Sunday about Libya.
“I attach great importance to these days. I wish they would keep their promises. On the contrary, we will naturally pursue the matter,” the Turkish president said.
Turkish and Russian delegations held talks in Moscow on Monday with the warring parties in Libya, which were expected to formalize the ceasefire on January 12 in response to a joint call by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The deal was signed by Fayez al-Sarraj, head of the UN-recognized National Reconciliation Government (GNA), but Khalifa Haftar, the rebel commander based in eastern Libya, left Moscow the next morning without signing the agreement.
A conference will be held in the German capital on Sunday, January 19, as part of the Berlin Process for Resolving the Crisis in Libya.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has invited heads of state and government to attend the meeting.
The conference will be attended by representatives from Turkey, the US, Russia, Britain, France, China, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the Republic of Congo, Italy, Egypt, Algeria, as well as representatives from the UN, the European Union (EU) and African Union.
Meanwhile, it was announced that al-Sarraj and Haftar were also invited to the conference.
Earlier, five working meetings were held in the framework of the Berlin Process on the Libyan issue.
Since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two rival governments have emerged in Libya, one in eastern Libya largely supported by Egypt and the UAE and the other a Tripoli-based GNA that enjoys UN and international recognition.
In April, Haftar launched an offensive to occupy Tripoli, a move that was opposed by the international community.
– “Assad’s regime is not respecting the truce in Idlib”
Regarding the recent situation in Idlib, northwestern Syria, Erdogan said current developments in the region show that Bashar al-Assad’s regime is not respecting the announced ceasefire.
“This proves that the regime is not respecting the steps we have taken regarding the ceasefire,” Erdo thaan said when asked about the recent wave of migration that has started from Idlib towards the Turkish border as a result of intense attacks by the Syrian regime and its supporters. .
The Turkish president described the developments in Idlib as worrying.
“However, we cannot remain alone with Idlib. There are serious problems throughout the corridor, from the northeast to the northwest,” Erdoğan added.
Erdoğan stressed that although Sunday’s conference in Berlin is about Libya, he plans to bring the issue of Idlib to the agenda as well.
Otherwise, the Assad regime is continuing attacks on Idlib despite a ceasefire announced by Russia and Turkey.
Russia had announced the implementation of the ceasefire by the afternoon of January 9, but ground attacks by the Iranian-backed regime and terrorist groups had continued.
Later, the Turkish Ministry of Defense announced that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed during the January 8th meeting in Istanbul that the ceasefire would start at midnight on January 12th, but the regime again launched air strikes on civilian settlements.
During the May 2017 meeting of Turkey, Russia and Iran in Astana, Kazakhstan, Idlib was declared a de-escalation zone, where acts of aggression would be banned.
Turkey and Russia reached an additional agreement in September last year in Sochi in the wake of the Syrian regime’s ceasefire violation.
However, regime forces with the help of supporters have continued their attacks despite the deal. Since that date, over 1,600 civilians have lost their lives as a result of the attacks.
Russia, the regime and its backing terrorists targeting the Idlib have, since the beginning of 2019, caused the migration of some 1,300,000 civilians near the border with Turkey.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, money, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.