NewsPoliticsWorld

Erdogan threatens after start of ceasefire violation in Idlib

US, WASHINGTON (NEWS OBSERVATORY) — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday denounced the “beginning of a breach” of the ceasefire in the Syrian province of Idlib and again threatens “even stronger” military reprisals if the violations occur continued.

Turkey and Russia, who support opposing camps in the Syrian conflict, agreed last week in Moscow on a ceasefire in this province in northwestern Syria, the last stronghold of opponents of the regime. Bashar al Assad.

“Even if these are small incidents, the cease-fire has started to be violated,” denounced Recep Tayyip Erdogan in a speech to the deputies of his party, the AKP. “The slightest attack on our observation posts will prompt a response from us with even stronger reprisals.”

Speaking to the press in Ankara, the head of Turkish diplomacy Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Moscow, which supports the Syrian regime politically and militarily, had asked Damascus to stop all breaches of the truce.

A Russian delegation arrived in Ankara on Tuesday to discuss the details of the ceasefire agreement, which provides for a security corridor and joint patrols along a strategic highway in Idlib, an agreement the two sides want to finalize.

“We are currently discussing the measures to be taken so that the M4 motorway can be opened to traffic safely,” said Cavusoglu. “There were talks last night and these talks will continue.”

“Right now, we are working to make this temporary cease-fire a long-term one,” he added.

Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said talks with the Russians were “positive and constructive” at this point, but did not elaborate.

Online:

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Contact us: [email protected]

Article is written and prepared by our foreign editors from different countries around the world – material edited and published by News Observatory staff in our US newsroom.