NewsWorld

Houthis: At least 16 civilians killed in air strikes in Yemen

UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — At least 16 people were killed in the Houthi-held province of Dali during air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition on Tuesday, two residents and the al-Masirah channel of Yemen’s Houthi group said.

The Saudi-led coalition has not responded to a request for comment.

In Tehran, the official IRNA news agency said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi condemned the strikes as “war crimes” and called for a political solution in Yemen.

“The spokesman expressed regret over the new war crimes committed by Saudi Arabia with weapons supplied by the United States and some European countries,” he said. “The aggressors in Yemen continue to insist on beating the drums of war and make their strategic mistake using a military approach.”

The attack came four days after the Houthis, allied with Iran, said they would halt rocket and drones attacks on Saudi Arabia if the Saudi-led coalition halted attacks on Yemen.

The Houthis this month claimed responsibility for an attack on two Saudi oil facilities that halved the kingdom’s crude production. Washington and Riyadh blame Iran for the attack.

The march said 16 people in one building, including seven children, were killed in coalition strikes.

Saudi Arabia is leading an alliance in 2015 to reinstate the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which the Houthis overthrew from Sanaa in late 2014. The coalition has launched many air strikes on Houthi-held areas.

Two residents told Reuters 17 people were killed in the attacks on Qataba, a town on the front lines of fighting on a main road linking Houthi-held Sanaa to Aden. Aden is the nominal temporary seat of the internationally recognized government of Yemen, but the southern separatists seized it last month.

A coalition spokesman said later on Tuesday that Houthi forces fired a ballistic missile from Amran, northwest of the capital Sanaa, but landed in Houthi-held territory in Yemen. But it was unclear if that was aimed at responding to air strikes on Tuesday.

The war has left tens of thousands dead and pushed millions of people to the brink of starvation.

Nine people, including three children, were killed this month when shelling from a Houthi-controlled area hit their home south of the city of Hodeida, medical sources told Reuters.

MSF said eight women and children were also injured and taken to a nearby hospital after the shelling.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.

Contact us: [email protected]

Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.

Support The OBSERVATORY from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.