News

Houthis: We attacked a Saudi Aramco facility with a drone

YEMEN (OBSERVATORY) –¬†Yemen’s al-Houthi group said on Wednesday it had carried out a drone strike on a facility belonging to Saudi oil giant Saudi Aramco, but the company said its facilities were operating normally and safely.

The Al-Masirah TV, a group of the al-Houthi group, did not say when the attack occurred and gave no details of any damage.

“The air force is announcing the air strikes on a Saudi Aramco jetliner in Jazan,” the channel said on its official Twitter account, referring to a drone unveiled last year by the Houthis.

Saudi Aramco runs a refinery in Jazan with a capacity of 400,000 barrels per day (bpd), part of a new economic city overlooking the Red Sea.

Al-Masirah said the Houthis also launched an unmanned drone attack on Abha airport in the nearby Asir area.

Saudi Arabia and a more powerful alliance from the Gulf states intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015 in an attempt to counter the Houthis after they pushed the internationally recognized government to move to Saudi Arabia.

The coalition launched thousands of air strikes that hit schools, markets and hospitals and killed hundreds of people, although the coalition says it does not target civilians.

The Houthis stepped up their attacks on the kingdom with ballistic missiles, saying it was a response to the air raids.

They have repeatedly declared attacks, some of which targeted Aramco, but Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, its main ally, said either the attacks did not occur or were intercepted.

Last year, al-Houthi revealed what it said was a series of unmanned drones that included a K-1 bomber.

The Arms Control Research Institute, which monitors arms supplies, said it had evidence that Kadhafi-1 and other Houthis-made equipment were manufactured in Iran and were not designed and manufactured locally in “contradiction with the Houthis.”

The alliance accuses the Houthis of acquiring weapons and receiving support from Iran, which the group and Tehran deny.