UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — Clashes on the outskirts of Tripoli between the forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Khalifa Haftar and the Government of National Accord (PNS) Fayez Sarraj only intensified. The National Conference on Inter-Libyan Dialogue, scheduled for April 14–16, was called into question. In this situation, it is not clear who will participate in this forum
Earlier, the United States announced that its African Command (AFRICOM) would temporarily withdraw its contingent from Libya for security reasons. Experts interviewed by Izvestia are sure that such a decision does not at all mean Washington’s refusal of influence in the country.
By Sunday evening, it became clear that the Libyan National Army did not intend to retreat from Tripoli. The forces of Khalifa Haftar launched an attack on the city in several directions at once: from the east, west and south.
In response to the VLA’s actions, the PNS armed forces launched the Volcano of Wrath counter-offensive operation. Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj accused Khalifa Haftar of betrayal and attempted coup and, according to media reports, demanded that the military prosecutor issue a warrant for the arrest of the field marshal.
According to the country’s Ministry of Health, at least 21 people were killed and 27 injured as a result of hostilities in the suburbs of Tripoli.
“In this situation, the main players will be busy resolving the conflict, and therefore it is not clear who will participate in this forum,” Lev Dengov told Izvestia. – How effective the conference is is still a big question. Especially considering that at past conferences the parties, although they were close to consensus, still could not agree.
“Both sides have already stopped talking about a political settlement,” Orientalist, former diplomat Vyacheslav Matuzov explained to Izvestia. – Now we are talking about who will win this fight. Both Sarraj and Haftar openly declared that they would fight the war to a victorious end. It all depends on who is better prepared for a military decision.
On Sunday, it also became known that due to the security situation in Libya, the United States decided to temporarily withdraw from the country the military of its African command.
At the same time, as noted in AFRICOM, the contingent will continue to “monitor the situation on the ground in Libya and assess the possibility of resuming the US military presence, depending on the circumstances.”
The mission of the unit includes supporting diplomatic missions, combating terrorism, and strengthening partnerships and security in the region.
“Such words should be interpreted as follows: when the United States speaks of leaving at the time of escalation, this means that they are giving way to those with whom they have previously agreed,” Lev Dengov told Izvestia. – This is done in order to maintain their influence in the place that they leave.
As for the Russian position, Moscow continues to maintain dialogue with all the major forces of the Libyan conflict and insists that a solution be reached exclusively by peaceful political means.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.