IRAN (OBSERVATORY) – The Iranian authorities, in their first comment on the US plan to send Arab armies to Syria, considered that this step, if taken, will lead to serious repercussions.
“The presence of Arab armies in northern Syria will lead to a serious confrontation with Turkey,” Mohsen Rezai, secretary of Iran’s Expediency Council, said in a statement on Wednesday.
Rezai stressed that “Washington’s plan to send Arab armies to Syria will fail.”
On the other hand, Rezai said that the Iranian response to Israel’s bombing of the base “T4” in central Syria “is imperative.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly said last month that Arab countries should play a key role in countering terrorism in Syria, expressing strong desire to withdraw US troops from Syrian territory.
US media quoted a responsible official in the Trump administration as saying it was seeking to mobilize military personnel from Arab countries to replace US troops in Syria in order to stabilize the north-east of the country.
In turn, Saudi Arabia confirmed that it is discussing with the United States the possibility of sending troops from the Islamic military alliance to combat terrorism in Syria, while called on Tuesday by its Foreign Minister, Adel al-Jubair, Qatar to send troops from Syria to Syria if it does not want to lose military support American.
The media reported that Trump has also begun to discuss this issue with the Egyptian authorities.