UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — Iranian Deputy Minister of Health Iraj Hariri confirmed that he had contracted Coronavirus (Covid-19), amidst a large spread of the disease in the Islamic Republic.
Hariraiji suffered a frequent cough and was sweating during a joint press conference on Monday with government spokesman Ali Rabei.
During the conference, Hariraiji denied the validity of a statement announced by one of the deputies that 50 people had died of the virus in the city of Qom, saying that he was ready to “resign” if the number proved to be correct.
In a video interview on state television, the Deputy Minister admitted he had the virus. And he said, “I am also infected with Coronavirus.”
“I had a fever last night, and my initial check-up was positive at midnight … I have isolated myself since then. A few minutes ago I was informed that the result of the examination was confirmed and I am now starting to take treatment.”
– “The virus does not recognize” –
“I wanted to inform you of that … We will definitely defeat this virus in the next few weeks,” he added.
After the news of Hariri’s injury, Rabiei, who was at his side at the press conference Monday, appeared in another press conference with the Iranian Minister of Industries on Tuesday and other officials.
Iran confirmed three deaths and 34 new cases on Tuesday, bringing the total number of new koruna deaths in the country to 15, while the number of injuries reached 95.
The number of deaths in Iran is the highest in Koruna, so far outside China.
The Ministry of Health stated that most of the deaths and injuries outside of Qom were among people who visited the Shi’a holy city recently.
Health Ministry spokesman Kyanosh Jahanpur said that 16 cases had been confirmed in Qom and nine in Tehran, while two cases had been confirmed in Albers, Ghaylan and Mazandaran.
The virus appears to be spreading to other parts of Iran, as new infections have been recorded in Fars, Khorasan Al-Ridwa and Qeshm.
Despite being the epicenter of the recent outbreak of Corona, the authorities have not yet imposed a quarantine on Qom.
Health Minister Saeed Nemki defended that Tuesday and said quarantine is an “old way.”
“We do not agree to impose a quarantine on the cities because we believe that people are educated enough to refrain from traveling from the affected cities to other places,” according to the student ISNA news agency.
The World Health Organization said its regional director planned to travel to Iran on Tuesday with a number of experts, after seeing that the sudden increase in the number of cases in Italy, Iran and South Korea was a cause of great concern.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: [email protected]