RUSSIA (OBSERVATORY) – The Kremlin accused Washington of refusing to face the reality in connection with the alleged chemical attack on the rebel town of Duma, which Russia says there is no evidence of.
“You see the non-constructive attitude that some countries, including the United States, are taking, they are obviously refusing to face reality,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
“None of them speaks of the need for a neutral investigation,” he said, adding that this limits diplomatic options for Russia, but will, however, continue its “active diplomacy”.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Russia would submit a resolution to the UN Security Council proposing to visit international inspectors from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) of the site where a suspected chemical attack had been reported in Douma to investigate what had happened.
Lavrov’s remarks and comments by Piskov came after US President Donald Trump said the attack would be “strongly matched” and pointed to a military decision within hours.
The Kremlin spokesman said there was no agreement yet on the date of a proposed meeting between Trump and Vladimir Putin.
Russia’s UN envoy warned on Monday that the use of military force against Syria could lead to “serious consequences.”
The Russian Defense Ministry rejected pictures of victims posted on the Internet, calling it “another forgery” and said opposition militants were launching attacks to question President Bashar al-Assad’s military-backed regime.
The Russian Defense Ministry said its experts visited hospitals in Duma, the largest town of the eastern Ghouta outside Damascus, and found no evidence of the chemical attack.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov said on Tuesday that “fake and artificial subjects are used as a pretext for the use of military force,” according to news agency RIA Novosti.
“We are making this completely unacceptable, and very dangerous.”
Activists said dozens of buses arrived in an area controlled by opposition militants in northwestern Syria on Tuesday, carrying gunmen who agreed to hand over the town under their control near Damascus after a suspected chemical attack.
The gunmen accused the Syrian government of masterminding the attack, but denied involvement.
He is expected to always leave about 40 thousand people from the militants and their families, according to the pro-government newspaper Al-Watan.
The agreement reinforces the control of the Syrian government on the entire eastern Ghouta area, after it was a major stronghold of the opposition near the capital Damascus.
Russian news agencies quoted the Defense Ministry as saying that 3,600 armed men and their families had always left the country within the past 24 hours.
Applying the terms of the agreement to hand over the town, the Army of Islam group that controlled the town released dozens of people who were holding them.