NewsWorld

Kremlin: Turkish military in Idlib perished outside observation posts

UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The Turkish military in Idlib perished exclusively outside observation posts, this happened during the terrorist offensive, Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters following a meeting of Security Council members.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday held an operational meeting with permanent members of the Security Council; the situation around the Syrian Idlib was discussed in detail.

“During the discussion, the meeting participants noted that by agreement and in accordance with the insistent requests of the Russian side, observation posts of the Turkish military appeared earlier in the Idlib zone, whose duties included monitoring the activities of the militants and preventing their terrorist activity, and preventing aggressive actions against “Russian military facilities. The Turkish partners failed to complete this task, since a significant part of the militants is out of their control,” Peskov said.

According to him, as the participants in the meeting emphasized, “during the offensive operations of the Syrian army against terrorist gangs, the Russian side did everything necessary to ensure the security of Turkish troops at the mentioned observation posts.”

“Not a single Turkish military at these posts was not only injured, but was not exposed to danger. The tragic deaths of the Turkish military occurred in places of offensive operations by terrorist gangs, among which, incidentally, there are numerous foreign mercenaries, including including citizens of the former Soviet Union. The Turkish side did not report on the presence of the Turkish military there, despite our repeated requests,” Peskov said.

The situation in Idlib escalated after the February 27 terrorists of the Khayyat Tahrir al-Sham launched a large-scale attack on the positions of the Syrian government forces. The SAR army returned fire. According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, the Turkish military, who should not have been there, was also shelled.

As a result, 33 soldiers of the Turkish army were killed, more than 30 people were injured. Immediately after receiving information about the injured Turkish military, the Russian side took measures for a complete ceasefire by the Syrian troops, and the safe evacuation of dead and wounded Turkish troops to Turkey was ensured.

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation emphasized that aviation of the Russian Aerospace Forces was not used in this area.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan convened a security meeting after the attack. The NATO Council will hold consultations on the situation in Syria on Friday in response to Ankara‚Äôs request. The US State Department told RIA that it supports Turkey as its NATO ally and is “considering options for the best way to support Turkey in this crisis.”

The security of the Russian Embassy in Turkey, which had previously received threats, was strengthened on Thursday evening, and security is provided by police special forces.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Contact us: [email protected]ry.com

Stay connected with Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.