NewsPoliticsTop News

Matttis says Washington has yet to reach a decision on Iran’s nuclear deal

UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY) –¬†US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Thursday that a decision had yet to be reached on whether Washington would withdraw from Iran’s nuclear deal.

Trump is expected to announce on May 12 his decision on whether the United States will remain a party to the historic deal signed in 2015 as US and European diplomats work on a deal to deal with points of concern to the US president.

“I can assure you that a decision on withdrawal from the nuclear agreement has not yet been reached,” Matisse said.

“Discussions are going on among the national security staff and the people assigned to advise the president,” he told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Although he is convinced that the deal contains flaws, Matisse said earlier that he supports the survival of the United States, telling deputies in October that it was in the interest of the United States.

But he did not express his support for the matter again on Thursday.

“There are clearly points in the nuclear agreement … We can work with our European allies on these matters now and I repeat that no decision has yet been made as to whether we can adequately reform it to stay or whether the president will decide to withdraw from it,” he said.

Trump called for the cancellation of the deal, which he described as “the worst” in history.

“It’s a bad deal, it’s bad,” he said on Tuesday.

“We’ll see what happens on May 12.