UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS)
The Japanese automaker, Nissan Motor, said on Tuesday that it was not considering ending its alliance with Renault and Mitsubishi, other than media reports.
The British newspaper “Financial Times” reported that Nissan officials are “rushing to develop a secret contingency plan to confront the possible separation” from Renault.
The British newspaper attributed this to the financial case in which the former head of the coalition, Carlos Ghosn, was involved, and still overshadows the alliance that has existed for 20 years.
The Japanese company said, in a statement on its website, that it is not thinking in any way to end the alliance.
On March 12, 2019, the three automakers announced the formation of a new board of directors for their alliance, as a basis for continuous improvement and support for future success, in the wake of the financial misconduct scandal that brought down Ghosn, the former head of the alliance.
Since then, the Board of Directors has held meetings on a monthly basis, as the only body that oversees operations and governance in the alliance.
In November 2019, all board members agreed to programs to enhance and accelerate the operational efficiency of the alliance in favor of member companies.
“The alliance is the source of competitiveness for Nissan, to achieve sustainable and profitable growth … We will look forward to continuing to provide profitable results to all member companies,” the statement released on Tuesday said.
Ghosn, in Tokyo, was arrested on November 19, 2018, for “financial irregularities” while he was president of “Nissan”, which had previously saved him from bankruptcy.
Ghosn entered the prison for 130 days, and was subsequently released on bail pending the start of his trial in April 2020, while he was under observation.
On January 2, it was announced in the Lebanese caretaker government, Albert Sarhan, that the judiciary had received a request from the International Criminal Police “Interpol”, to arrest Ghosn, after he fled Japan, and his arrival in Beirut.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, money, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: email@example.com
We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.