IRAN (OBSERVATORY) – Mohammad Javad Zarif recalled recent remarks by Pompeo, who said that Iran had never sought access to nuclear weapons.
In an interview on Friday, April 20, 2018, at US channel CBS, the Iranian Foreign Minister recalls that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo himself acknowledged that Tehran has no had never tried to gain access to nuclear weapons and had been subjected to sanctions of all kinds for years and years.
On April 12, in the US Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, reviewing Pompeo’s candidacy as Secretary of State of the United States, he said: “Iran has not no attempt to access the nuclear weapon even before the PGAC. Even today, as far as I know, there is nothing to show that if the PGAC no longer existed, the Iranians would seek to acquire the nuclear weapon.”
As for the possible exit of the US from the PGAC, Zarif explained: “Iran has several options ready to be used and one of them is the resumption of nuclear activities at a much faster pace than before.”
The Iran-5 + 1 agreement, signed between Iran on the one hand and a group composed of the United Kingdom, France, Russia, China, the United States and Germany of the the other, came into effect in January 2016 and the US administration has been consistently failing since then.
Donald Trump has always opposed the other signatory parties, calling the Iran nuclear deal a bad text worthy of a complete overhaul or even a total challenge. However, the international community is opposed to this approach of the American president.