UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The death toll from two earthquakes in the southern Philippines last week has risen to 21, authorities said, as rescuers tried to deliver food and clean water to thousands of people affected.
Two strong earthquakes of magnitude 6.6 and 6.5 struck the island of Mindanao, destroying hundreds of buildings and displacing tens of thousands of people.
The National Disaster Council said rescuers had found more bodies of people who died as a result of falling debris and landslides caused by the two earthquakes.
The quakes caused 432 casualties and two others were missing.
Television footage showed some villagers asking passers-by and motorcyclists to help provide food and water.
Thursday’s quake was the third since mid-October in the Mindanao region, which accounts for about a third of the Asian archipelago.
Six people were killed in an earthquake measuring 6.6 on Tuesday that hit the same area, injuring dozens of people and damaging buildings.
The area was mainly affected by the effects of an earthquake measuring 6.4, two weeks ago, which killed at least five people and damaged dozens of buildings.
The Philippines is constantly experiencing earthquakes due to its occurrence on the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, a seismically active region that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and the Pacific Basin.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, money, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.