UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US will not tolerate Iran’s “threatening behavior,” which Saudi and US officials accuse of attacking the kingdom’s oil facilities over the weekend.
“Today I met with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, to discuss unprecedented attacks on the oil infrastructure of Saudi Arabia. The United States supports Saudi Arabia and supports its right to self-defense. Threatening behavior of the Iranian regime is unacceptable,” Pompeo wrote on Twitter.
Pompeo is visiting Saudi Arabia, after which he will visit the United Arab Emirates.
In turn, the press service of the Department of State also announced the meeting of the Secretary of State with the Crown Prince.
“The Secretary of State and the Crown Prince discussed Iran’s recent attacks on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia. The Secretary and Crown Prince agreed that this is an unacceptable and unprecedented attack that not only threatens the national security of Saudi Arabia, but also threatens the lives of all American citizens, living and working in Saudi Arabia, as well as global energy supply in general,” the report said.
The ministry informed that Pompeo and Mohammed bin Salman discussed “the need to unite the efforts of the international community to counter the continuing threat of the Iranian regime” and agreed that “the Iranian regime should be responsible for its continued aggressive, reckless and threatening behavior.”
The largest exporter and one of the three largest oil producers, Saudi Arabia, after the attack on its oil facilities on September 14, reduced production by more than half – by 5.7 million barrels per day from the usual mark of about 9.8 million.
The Saudi Minister of Energy announced on September 17 that, thanks to the use of reserves, oil supplies had already returned to their previous level, and that lost production has so far been restored by half.
Hussite Yemeni rebels against whom the Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia are fighting said the refineries were attacked by fighters of their movement using unmanned aerial vehicles.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there was no evidence of an attack from Yemen, and blamed Iran for it. Iranian Foreign Ministry called Pompeo’s allegations a lie Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry also blamed Iran for the attack with drones and cruise missiles on Wednesday.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.