UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — The missile fired by North Korea on Wednesday would have been launched from a maritime platform and not a submarine, shared with reporters a representative of the Pentagon during a press briefing on October 3.
The US military on Thursday (October 3rd) assumed that North Korea had launched a sea-to-ballistic missile at a distance of 450 kilometers from a shipping platform, according to Pentagon Colonel Patrick Ryder during a press briefing. According to Japan, the missile fell into its exclusive economic zone.
“We have no evidence that these missiles were launched from a submarine, it was rather from a marine platform. As we understand it, North Korea has launched a short or medium-range missile that has traveled 450 kilometers and fallen into the sea of Japan,” he said.
Pentagon representative Jonathan Hoffman, who was also present at the press briefing, said that US Defense Secretary Mark Esper and his Japanese counterpart Taro Kono during their phone conversation on Thursday (October 3rd) agree that North Korea’s new missile test was provocative and did not meet the terms of diplomacy.
“This morning, [Esper Defense Secretary] had a telephone conversation with Japanese Defense Minister Kono, and they discussed North Korea. They both believe that the North Korean test has been unduly provocative, does not promote diplomacy and that North Korea should put an end to this type of testing,” said Jonathan Hoffman.
Pyongyang and Washington have agreed to hold working discussions on Oct. 5, the North Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported. For his part, Donald Trump confirmed to reporters on Thursday his willingness to meet Kim Jong-un as agreed.
Earlier, KCNA reported that the test fire on 2 October was a “new type” of ballistic missile from a submarine and had been successful. KCNA has identified this craft as a Pukguksong 3, a strategic ballistic sea-ground (MSBS) missile, as the South Korean staff presumed.
The 2 October shooting is the ninth missile test since Kim Jong-un and Donald Trump met on June 30 at the demilitarized border between the two Koreas.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.