RUSSIA (OBSERVATORY) – Russian air defense systems at the bases of Tartus and Khmeimim did not record the participation of French aviation in the attacks on Syria. This was reported by Colonel-General Sergei Rudskoy, Chief of the Main Operations Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, at a briefing to the Defense Ministry on Saturday.
“The Russian air defense systems at the Khmeimim and Tartus bases promptly detected and controlled all launches of missiles from both sea and air carriers of the United States and Great Britain,” said the general. “The announced participation of French aviation has not been fixed.”
The aircraft of the US Air Force B-1B, F-15, F-16, as well as the Tornado Air Force planes over the Mediterranean, the ships of the US naval forces Labun and Monterey from the Red Sea “Rudskoy told reporters:” The B-1B strategic bombers went to the targets of strikes against Syrian territory in the area of El Tanf illegally held by the United States. ”
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, a missile attack on Syria’s military and civilian infrastructure was caused by US planes and ships in conjunction with the British Air Force on Saturday from 03:42 Moscow time to 05:10 Moscow time.
The department reported that the allies fired more than 100 cruise missiles and air-to-ground missiles (last year, 59 rockets were fired at the Syrian military airfield of Shayrat), most of them were shot down by Syrian air defense weapons on target. According to some reports, about 10 objects were attacked, but the Syrian information agency SANA did not confirm this information.
The reason for striking Syria was an incident on April 7 in the Syrian city of Dumas, where, according to some statements, chemical weapons were used. These messages were distributed by a number of NGOs, including “White Helmets”; about the latest in the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation reported that it is not a reliable source of information and disseminates fabricated information.
Representatives of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties conducted a survey of the Duma on April 9, but found no signs of using chemical weapons. On Saturday, experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons were to start working on the site.