UNITED STATES, WASHINGTON (OBSERVATORY) — Saudi Arabia is studying an initiative last month by the Houthi group Ansar Allah for a ceasefire between its forces and the Saudi-led Arab alliance, informed sources told Reuters.
The news agency “Reuters”, five different sources, including three diplomats, on Friday, that the Kingdom is seriously considering some form of ceasefire in an attempt to stop the escalation of the conflict.
Two sources said Saudi air strikes on Houthi areas had fallen dramatically and there was reason to be optimistic about a solution soon.
A regional official familiar with the matter said that the Saudis are studying the offer of Houthis, used by Western diplomats to persuade Riyadh to change course, the source added: “It seems they are open to it.”
“The Saudis are very open to the Houthis’ offer as they are ready to use it to support their argument that Iran is the problem, not the Houthis,” the official said.
In turn, a senior military source in Yemen close to the Houthis that Saudi Arabia “opened contact” with the head of the Supreme Political Council of the “Ansar Allah” in the capital Sanaa, Mehdi Mashat, through a third party, but no agreement has been reached.
The agency quoted a European diplomat familiar with the Saudi Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, “wants to get out of Yemen,” adding: “So we have to find a way to get out while saving face.”
Another diplomat said Saudi Arabia’s agreement to halt air strikes would effectively mean the end of the war because Saudi Arabia had little ground capability.
On September 20, the head of the Supreme Political Council in Sanaa announced the launch of a peace initiative that includes halting any attacks on Saudi Arabia, calling on them to reciprocate.
Saudi Arabia has not yet made a clear response to the initiative, while its Arab coalition has continued to wage military operations against the Houthis, while UN Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths welcomed the proposal.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
OBSERVATORY NEWS — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]
Stay connected with News Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.
We are NEWS OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.