UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY) – Saudi Arabia announced the provisional release of eight people accused of conspiracy and cooperation with organizations and individuals hostile to the Kingdom, while continuing to imprison 9 others.
The prosecutor’s office said on Saturday it had interrogated the suspects arrested last month, which human rights groups say are activists defending women’s rights, the official SPA news agency reported.
The prosecution said in a statement that the defendants admitted that they had “contacted and cooperated with individuals and organizations hostile to the Kingdom … the recruitment of persons in a sensitive government entity to obtain confidential information and documents to harm the interests of the Kingdom of the Supreme .. Provide financial and moral support to hostile elements abroad.”
Of the 17 people arrested, 8 will be temporarily released, including 5 women and 3 men, the statement said. Nine suspects, 5 men and 4 women, will continue to be detained “after sufficient evidence is available and to confess their charges as part of the crimes to be arrested.”