SYRIA (OBSERVATORY) – After the recent attack on Syria by the United States, the United Kingdom and France, international observers question the further development of the situation and the possible involvement of an Arab coalition in the Syrian conflict. Sputnik spoke with Steve Topple, an independent British journalist.
Media reports more and more information on possible “Arab coalition” that could be formed to enter Syria, fight against terrorist groups and curb “Iranian influence”, although Saudi Arabia and the Arab Emirates United, the authors of this plan, have become bogged down in Yemen.
“Personally, I do not think that can happen soon. […] Saudi Arabia has now become embroiled in the conflict with Yemen, and given the turnaround of the situation last week, when the Syrian government reestablished its control over Duma, I think this plan is in the process of fade away,” Steve Topple told Sputnik.
According to the latter, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates would simply have presumed their strength, taking themselves too seriously.
“Two years ago, I wrote that the situation in Syria was what is known as the first world war of the twenty-first century in which the West and its allies intervened against Russia, Iran and their allies. In my opinion, for the moment, the situation has calmed down because the Assad government has restored its control over most of Syrian territory, “said the agency’s interlocutor.
And to warn that it will not end, however.
“And we saw the evidence when the United States, France and the United Kingdom carried out air strikes against Syria in response to an alleged chemical attack.”
According to the journalist, it would be rather now the methods of “soft power”.
“There will be more propaganda and aggressive diplomacy, but, as I said before, it will continue, too many things at stake. Too much for all participants in the conflict in Syria,” concluded the interlocutor. from Sputnik.
On the night of 13 to 14 April, the United States, the United Kingdom and France carried out strikes against Syrian sites where, according to them, chemical weapons could be manufactured. Of the 103 missiles fired, 71 were intercepted by the Syrian DCA. The bombing was carried out following the alleged chemical attack that took place on April 7 in Douma, near Damascus, according to Western countries.