Sudan PM survived in assassination attempt

US, WASHINGTON (NEWS OBSERVATORY) — Unknown people committed an assassination attempt on Prime Minister of Sudan Abdullah Hamduk on Monday. This was reported at a press conference in the Sudanese capital by the Minister of Culture and Information Faisal Saleh.

According to him, next to the passing motorcade of the head of government in the morning an explosive device went off. After that, “a convoy of government vehicles was fired upon,” he specified. “The country’s authorities will react harshly to these terrorist attacks,” the minister emphasized.

Saleh said that everything is in order with the Prime Minister, he continues to fulfill his duties in his office. However, all meetings scheduled for Monday are canceled.

Earlier, Al Arabiya television channel   reported that a makeshift explosive device was planted in a parked car.

According to the Sky News Arabia television channel, one person from among those accompanying the prime minister was slightly injured. Both cars of Hamduk’s motorcade were slightly damaged

In connection with the assassination attempt on a high-ranking politician, an emergency meeting of representatives of the country’s power structures was convened under the leadership of the head of the Governing Sovereign Council of the Sudan, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

After the incident, the head of government published a message on Twitter in which he wrote that “what happened will not stop the march of change.”

Abdullah Hamduk has been leading the Sudanese government since last August; he was appointed by the opposition forces “For Freedom and Change” a few months after the military coup in the country and the removal of President Omar al-Bashir, who ruled Sudan for 30 years, from power.


Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Contact us: [email protected]

Article is written and prepared by our foreign editors from different countries around the world – material edited and published by News Observatory staff in our US newsroom.