NewsWorld

The first infection with coronavirus among US forces in South Korea

UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The US forces stationed in South Korea announced on Wednesday that one of its members had been infected with the new Corona virus, an epidemic that continues to spread in this country.

The US Forces Command in South Korea said in a statement that the injured soldier was 23 years old and was serving at the Karol military base, 30 kilometers north of Daegu, the epicenter of the epidemic in North Korea. He was asked to impose a quarantine on his home outside Military base.

She added that a “tracing friction” operation had taken place between this soldier and others to show whether the infection had passed to other soldiers.

This is the first casualty recorded in the ranks of the American soldiers stationed in South Korea to defend it against the nuclear armed North, who number 28,500.

The announcement came at a time when North Korea recorded 169 new cases of the new Corona virus and one death, bringing the total number of people infected with the epidemic in this country to about 1450.

The Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention said in a statement that the total number of people infected with the epidemic was 1146 people, while it rose to 11 the number of deaths caused by the virus after one patient died during the past twenty-four hours.

He added that the patient who raised the death toll in the country to 11 is a thirtieth man from Mongolia, who has become the first foreigner to die in South Korea from the virus. According to Yonhap News, this man was in hospital awaiting a liver transplant.

According to the Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the vast majority of new infections – about 90% of them – were registered in Daegu, the southernmost city that is the epicenter of the epidemic, and in neighboring North Gyeongsang Province.

Daegu is the fourth largest city in South Korea, with a population of over 2.5 million, and 39 new injuries associated with the “Jesus Shinsengumi Church” were recorded.

It is believed that one of the chapels in this church, a 61-year-old woman who was unaware that she was infected with the virus, transmitted the infection to her colleagues, especially during the masses.

South Korea has become the second biggest epidemic after China, where the virus first appeared in late December.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Contact us: [email protected]

Stay connected with Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.