UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY) — US President Donald Trump said on Sunday his administration would reveal more details about its deal with Mexico and at the same time denied a news report that there were no significant new commitments by Mexico to stem the flow of Central American migrants on the southern border.
“Mexico was not cooperating on the border in matters that concerned us,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Now I have full confidence, especially after talking with their president yesterday, they will be very cooperative and want to get the job done right.”
“What is important is that some of the things that were not mentioned in the press release yesterday, and specifically something, were agreed upon. This will be announced in due course.”
The deal was announced on Friday after three days of negotiations in Washington that prevented the Trump administration from imposing a 5 percent tariff on imports of all Mexican goods from Monday.
Trump also denied a New York Times report that the deal consisted of commitments previously approved by Mexico as a “false report”.
The issue of expanding the program to allow asylum seekers to stay in Mexico was reached in December, the paper said on Sunday, quoting officials from both countries familiar with the negotiations.
Mexico also agreed in March to deploy National Guard troops across the country, giving priority to the southern border, the newspaper said.
“We have tried to reach some of these border measures for a long time, as well as other departments have tried, but we could not achieve, or fully achieve, until we signed the agreement with Mexico,” Trump said on Twitter.
News Observatory — Breaking news source, real-time coverage of the world’s events, life, politics, business, finance, economy, markets, war and conflict zones.
Contact us: [email protected]