UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY) – US President Donald H. Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, asked the Qatari government at least $ 1 million in December 2016 to participate in a US infrastructure investment program, the Washington Post reported.
The newspaper said in a report on Wednesday that Qatar had rejected Cohen’s offer, which came before the inauguration of Trump in January 2017, citing several people familiar with the matter. Other media also reported on Wednesday that Cohen had asked for funds from Ahmed al-Rumaihi, then head of investment management at the country’s sovereign wealth fund.
Reuters was unable to independently verify the reports. Cohen’s lawyer Steven Ryan did not respond to Reuters’s request for comment. There was also no comment from Rumaihi.
Al-Rumaihi told the Washington Post that Cohen made the offer in early December 2016 at the Peninsula Hotel in New York. The newspaper said they spoke again at the Trump Tower in New York on December 12, 2016.
Al-Rumaihi was the Trump Tower in a Qatari delegation that included Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammad Al-Thani.
Al-Rumaihi told Cohen that Qatar expects to invest in Trump’s plans to attract investment under a US infrastructure program. Cohen offered assistance in finding projects sponsored by Qatar for a $ 1 million provider.
The request to Qatar will be the latest such request to be unveiled after US and European companies admitted last week that it had paid money to Cohen, who had been a lawyer for Trump for nearly 10 years and described himself as a “broker” for Trump.
Swiss drug company Novartis said it had paid about $ 1.2 million to Cohen, while US communications company AT & T said it had provided $ 600,000 to Cohn and Korea Aerospace Industries Co. said it had used it for $ 150,000.
Novartis and AT & T said the office of US special investigator Robert Mueller had contacted them about the matter in late 2017.
Muller is in a possible complicity between the Trump campaign in 2016 and Russia, which Trump has repeatedly denied.