UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — Two railway workers were killed and 25 wounded Thursday when an express train departed near Milan, northern Italy, according to the authorities.
The accident took place near the town of Lodi, about 50 km south of Milan.
Lodi police official Marcelo Cardona told reporters that an investigation had been launched into the accident, which killed two railway workers.
“There should be no further deaths,” Cardona said, adding that injuries to the wounded did not pose a threat to their lives. All the injured were taken to hospital.
The accident, according to Cardona, “was likely to be much worse,” explaining that few passengers were on the train.
The Minister of the Interior was informed of the matter, while the Attorney General went to see the location of the accident, the causes of which have not yet been known, according to Cardona.
The train running on the Milan-Salerno route was on its way to Bologna when it derailed.
Scenes of the locomotive showed the wrecked and perched position near a railway building dozens of meters away, and it was separated from the train, and the first vehicle was turned over the railway, while the rest of the trailers are intact.
According to preliminary information reported by the media, the locomotive got off the track and crashed into a freight train on the parallel rail before hitting the building.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: [email protected]
Support The OBSERVATORY from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
We are OBSERVATORY — the only funding and support we get from people – we are categorically not funded by any political party, any government somewhere or from any grouping that supports certain interests – the only support that makes OBSERVATORY possible came from you.