NewsPoliticsWar and ConflictsWorld

US will continue to limit Iran’s missile program

UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The US will continue to limit Tehran’s missile program, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in connection with Tehran’s unsuccessful space launch.

Iranian authorities previously reported on February 9 launch of the Simorgh rocket with the Zafar satellite. They said that the device could not be put into the necessary orbit, since the rocket did not gain the necessary speed at the last stage. Iranian Minister of Information and Communication Technology Mohammad Jawad Azari Jahromi announced that the launch of the Zafar-2 satellite will probably be carried out in the month of chordad (in the Gregorian calendar, it corresponds to May 22 – June 21).

“The US will continue to build support around the world to counter the reckless actions of the Iranian regime to create ballistic missiles, and we will continue to put enormous pressure on the regime to change its behavior,” said Pompeo.

According to him, it does not matter whether the launch was successful or unsuccessful – the technologies for creating ballistic missiles, including intercontinental ones, are almost identical to the technologies of space rockets.

“Any launch, successful or not, allows Iran to gain experience using similar technologies that help its missile program under the guise of a peaceful space program,” said Pompeo in a written statement. He reiterated that the 2015 deal to limit Iran’s nuclear program could not contain his other actions, which the US considers hostile, including the missile program. The Donald Trump administration withdrew from the deal in 2018.

The United States and several other countries interpret UNSC resolution 2231 in such a way that it prohibits Iran from launching missiles. Russia drew attention to the fact that the exact wording contains only an appropriate appeal.

Online:

This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

OBSERVATORY

Contact us: contact@newsobservatory.com

Stay connected with Observatory and Observatory Newsroom, also with our online services and never lost the breaking news stories happening around the world.

Tags
Close