UNITED STATES (OBSERVATORY NEWS) — The number of new coronavirus cases in China has been steadily declining over the past week, said World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhan Ghebreyesus.
“But this must be considered with extreme caution. The outbreak can still go the other way,” he said.
At the same time, the WHO Director-General recalled that the number of countries where the cases of the virus were detected has remained unchanged since February 4.
Late last year, the Chinese authorities have reported an outbreak of pneumonia of unknown origin in the city of Wuhan . Subsequently, the experts found that the causative agent of the disease has become a new type of coronavirus – 2019-nCoV.
According to the latest data, the number of confirmed cases of the disease in China exceeded 44 thousand people, of which more than a thousand died.
WHO recognized the outbreak as an emergency of international concern. The disease is transmitted by airborne droplets, as well as through dirty hands touching the eyes.
Among the major symptoms – dry cough, shortness of breath until respiratory failure, fever, weakness. In some cases, the disease proceeds without pneumonia.
In Russia recorded two cases. Both are from Chinese citizens. The Russian government has taken a number of measures to combat the spread of the virus.
In particular, the border section with China in the Far East was closed, border crossing with Mongolia was limited, work visas for Chinese citizens were canceled, a decision was made to evacuate Russians from Hubei, flights to China were suspended, except for Aeroflot flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong. On February 3, Russian Railways stopped railway communication with China.
This article is written and prepared by our foreign editors writing for OBSERVATORY NEWS from different countries around the world – material edited and published by OBSERVATORY staff in our newsroom.
Contact us: [email protected]